2/28 (Hektor-Free will)

So today's class discussion stuck with me the whole day for some reason. The question was do characters like Hektor really have free will if the gods are interfering his life and if their society praise only the ones with glory. I dont think free will should have any form of pressure or interference. Saying this is faith or that this is someone's destiny isn't giving the person free will. In other words, I'm saying in our society no-one really has free will, you'll always be pushed more towards one side. Whether its the forces of nature pushing you, the gods or whatever other forces there are. For instance you'll choose to eat instead of starving, you'll choose to live instead of dying. So no, Hektor does not have free will, in fact anything that happens to him can be blamed on the gods because they're the forces that directly interfered with his life. Thought this is an extremely arguable point.

Comments

  1. I understand your point of view, and I was also overthinking about the class discussion we had today. Having free will is having the ability to act upon your own discretion. Therefore, like you mentioned that in our society we'll choose to eat instead of starve. However, you do have the choice of not choosing to eat, and if you do choose to eat- that will be the decision you act upon in order to not starve. I'm not sure if that made sense? Choosing to eat VS not eating - you have free will of choosing either side because each choice comes with its own outcomes. Not eating = you'll starve and choosing to eat = you will not starve... I'm confused now, I don't know if I'm agreeing with you or trying to go against your argument?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your point because anything that Hektor has done has been forced or interfered by the gods and the way they wanted it to be. Free will is such an arguable topic however it’s so clear here that he really doesn’t have free will. I love the points you made about eating and not starving as well as living and not dying. I think those analogies fit perfectly with the notion of free will.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment