Blog 2/11


I found book 2 of “The Iliad” to be very interesting. The part that really caught my attention was when Thersites confronts Agamemnon saying it is unjust that he is receiving most of prizes since he is not doing any of the work (Lines 232-243). I actually found it pretty funny because Achilles said the same thing too Agamemnon. Although, Thersites speech gets shut down quickly by Odysseus saying that he has no right talking about a king. I wonder why Odysseus publicly humiliates Thersites verbally and physically if one of his characteristics is being “wise”. I also wonder why Agamemnon did not defend himself just like how he did with Achilles.

Comments

  1. To answer your question about why Odysseus publicly humiliates Thersites is, in fact, for a reason. I feel as if Thersites is represented as a more negative figure, being hated by other men and what not. Thersites is characterized as "vain" in book two and a big mouth towards leaders in the army. At first, I asked the same question as you -why would "wise" Odysseus do this? However, it is most definitely to make the other men happy and maybe be on their good side? Furthermore, I do not think Homer chooses to portray Odysseus as negative or immoral, rather tries to show us exactly why he humiliates Thersites without moral objection to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment