Blog 2/18/18


As I was reading book eight of The Iliad, I realized something that really spiked my interest. I know that Zeus is constantly referred to as "Father Zeus" even by other gods or goddesses, yet he isn't the most powerful in terms of obedience from any of the immortals The other gods and goddesses can and do disobey him, for example Hera who has multiple times spoken back to Zeus in anger. However, when Zeus commands that “no female divinity, nor male god either, presume to cut across the way of my word…then he will see how far I am strongest of all the immortals,” (VIII. Line 7-8, 17) he overpowers all the immortals as they sit there in complete silence. He spoke strongly and they obeyed his word. He said himself he does not want them to interfere because he wants things to go as he pleases and he knows them interfering will not allow him to do so. It is interesting how in such a moment the gods and goddesses do choose to listen to him when he speaks with such strength, allowing him to direct the events of the war and the fate of the warriors as he pleases.

Comments

  1. do you think it'd be possible to separate the characters to which respect Zeus and which dont?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment