Blog- Nestor the Manipulator
I still can't help but be bothered by what Nestor said to Patroklus back in Book 11. Not the part where he used to be this honored soldier in his younger days, but the part where he asks Patroclus to wear Achilleus' armor in the battle. Fo what reason would he ask Patroklos of all people to wear the armor? I'm aware that he wants to scare the trojans and stop them from taking the lead, but does Nestor really believe that that would work? He is known for being this wise being who knows what's best, so for him to come up with that? I find that to be off. When we discussed this in class, it really hit me that maybe Nestor's dumb idea is actually a part of a much bigger plan where Patroklos will get destroyed in the battlefield wearing Achilleus' armor. When Achilleus finds out that his mentor/guide/second father is come kind of way has been killed in battle, he will undoubtedly be infuriated and want to reek havoc to the trojans. In the end, Nestor gets Achilleus to go back into the battle, and Agamemnon can rest easy knowing that his best warrior is back on the battlefield.
When I first read Book 11, I was thinking maybe Nestor wanted to tease Achilleus by having his armor put to use. I thought maybe that this would stir some sort of jealousy or maybe make Achilleus feel foolish for sitting back. I feel that Nestor was using some sort of reverse psychology on Patroklos to get Achilleus over his grudge on Agamemnon.
ReplyDelete