Blog Post 2/17/18
So far while reading all of the books I’ve been confused most of the time. It’s most likely the language used but the class discussions have helped. Talking about the tension build up when both sides actually thought for a moment that they wouldn’t have to go to war and trying to put yourself in their position really makes the whole situation a bit more clear. A part that expressed more of the army’s feelings toward this all was in Book 9.72-75 where it states “We lowered them into the ships, fearing destruction, and hurriedly rowed our ships toward the mainland. For two days and two nights we lay there, without ever a break, eating our hearts in pain and exhaustion.” This war has been going on for years now, the ache and need for it to be over is more than obvious. So far, that is clear to me.
I definitely agree with you on the part that the readings can be a bit confusing, and the class discussions have been a great help to understanding what's going on. As for the quote, I got a different vibe from it but it still correlates with what you said. With Agamemnon finally giving up and Achilleus dropping out from the war, it seems that they're afraid of the Trojans attacking them as they flee. Of course, they do crave for the war to finally be done with, and with Agamemnon retreating, their wishes have finally been answered.
ReplyDeleteI agree as well. Besides the readings being difficult to read, the names are a bit confusing for me as well. Greek mythology is a bit new for me. I know the basic names, but not all. Therefore, I get confused. I also agree that class discussions have been helpful. As to the quote, I got the same impression as you. The quote expresses fear and exhaustion, since the war has been going on for a long time.
ReplyDeleteI as well agree with having trouble with the understanding, i think it would help if you this of the iliad as more of poetry than just a story because it can help understand some confusing quotes. i believe this is a narrative poetry, just a very long one.
ReplyDelete