Blog Post: Iliad Book 3 observation

     Throughout the time of reading book 3 of the Iliad, which happens to be my favorite part of the Iliad so far, I have come to an understanding that at the beginning of book 3 the Achaean's and the Trojans are coming together. Paris then comes out in leopard skin after Menelaus introduces that he is more than willing to fight a god like Alexander. A couple lines later Hector responds to this conduct by his brother by introducing that he wishes he was never born. Then Paris shows up in front of everybody and then flees, which later results in a showdown between Paris and Galius. Specifically my favorite part was in Iliad 3.364-369 when Menelaus drags Paris by his hair. While reading those specific lines I actually felt like I was engaged in the battle myself with such an intense use of dramatic vocabulary in those lines. All of this is then followed by Aphrodites summoning Helen, which she was disguised as an old lady but Aphrodites still recognized her.  

Comments