Blog Post for 03/30
My favorite part of Agamemnon is the scene where Cassandra is having this sort of
premonition of what is going to happen and how nobody really believes it, yet
they still have this underlying suspicion about the entire thing. They have
this suspicion because they have been dealing with this fear that Clytemnestra has
placed in them. Something about the entire thing seems so weird to me. I just
enjoyed the fact that Cassandra literally walks into her own death knowing
exactly what is going to happen and nobody could even stop it. It shows how
great a woman’s, especially a mother’s, vengeance can be and to what lengths she
would go to seek revenge. In all, the entire plot was kind of predictable in a
sense that I knew what Clytemnestra was going to do in the end, it seemed quite obvious to
me. The entire play was extremely dramatic, but I did enjoy it.
Cassandra is the only real clairvoyant character in this entire play, precisely because she confronts what she knows to be true. The Chorus of old men constantly fumble with hazy premonitions, moments of pure clarity, and uncertainty.
ReplyDelete