4/11 Philoctetes
I don't believe Philoctetes missed out on a lesson in this story, in fact I think its the lesson we wanted him to learn that he missed out. We all learn something after doing something. In Philoctetes' case, he might have lerned that patience and prayer can get him out of though situations or to always fight. However, the lesson we wanted him to learn was how too much pride has negative consequences, basically to be aware of his pride. Also, I believe the claim that Philoctetes did not learn a valuable lesson can very much vary from a religious person and people who are more into reality or social interactions. A religious person would say Philoctetes learned a valuable lesson, hope, faith etc. A person who thinks more like a sociologist would say Philoctetes missed the valuable lesson, pride.
When it comes to Philoctetes I don't truly believe he learned his lesson. When a person has as much pride as him and someone wants him to change, it takes a lot of effort to push that pride aside and even admit you have a problem. Even more so if you're expecting change to come after that realization. I also slightly disagree with your claim about religious people maybe thinking he learned a valuable lesson. Pride is known to be one of the 7 deadly sins and he may need to humble himself to learn a lesson.
ReplyDelete