4/13 blog
A theme in Philoctetesis is suffering, and victory. Philoctetes suffers from a wound on his foot throughout the play. He even goes back to Greece after being told if he's not there the Trojans will win. Hercules comes and tells Philoctetes that he will be cured and the Greeks will win the war if he goes to Troy. He went to Greece fought many Trojans and then his foot got healed. Hercules appearing in the play at the end was necessary in my opinion, Hercules helped push Philoctetes to go back to Greece to fight the Trojans Also another thing is that a theme that I've noticed is fighting for glory, and immortality. Everyone wants to be glorified in these plays.
I disagree with the part about Hercules. I don't think it made sense to bring him in at the very end of the storyline. Maybe if he was brought in when the choice was first proposed to Philoctetes about going back to Greece to help defeat the Trojans. In all, I just didn't find it necessary for him to come into the story in the very end.
ReplyDeleteI agree, the mentioning of Hercules in the end didn’t really affect the storyline and the theme of the play.
Delete