4/20 blog post
While reading Prometheus, many things looked familiar, because to me it looked like what Zeus was doing was a system related to communism. By looking at things that Zeus didn't allow Prometheus and mortals to do, I picture Zeus as a dictator. In my opinion Prometheus did the right thing that he went against Zeus when he stole the fire. If we analyze it we can say that that was the start of a new era for people, because they learned new things that before they couldn't. They also realized that they didn't need to pray to God to make a change, but now that could do it by themselves.
to pray to a certain God*
ReplyDeletei've never seen Zeus in that kind of way, but after you mentioning it, it made me have a completely new look on Zeus and mythology as a whole. After bringing this up, I kinda see mythology and Zeus as democratic. Zeus expects the mortals to live a certain kind of way, to abide to his rules and whatnot. People are allowed to live freely, but only to a certain degree. Perhaps I'm just overthinking it, but it reminded me of how our current country is like. Then with the aspect of Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades, they remind me of the branches of power; Executive (Zeus since he is the god of gods), Legislative (Poseidon since he is the next strongest ruler) and Judicial (Hades since he is in charge of the underworld as well as all things bad). Again, this is quite the long shot but that was what my mind had thought up after reading your comment
ReplyDeleteI see exactly where you're coming from and I completely agree. I feel like we can tie some of these instances even to the society we live in today, of course not the whole supernatural part, but the idea of taking matters into your own hands when your leader is not helping you in any way -in this case Zeus was actually punishing them by removing fire completely. Thus, what Prometheus did was a brave move in itself and this can be compared to the real world, as well, and the acts of bravery they undergo.
ReplyDeleteI certainly agree with your point on the Zeus as a dictator, however when then people try to take action and make change by themselves it tends to backfire, in those instances I figure the gods are mad because they don’t have control in these moments.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your statement that Zeus can be seen as a dictator. Prometheus did what he thought was right but giving knowledge and fire to the mortals didn't seem right to the other Gods and rightfully so. On both sides I can see their point although I do side with Prometheus. What he did helped humans build as a species but as a ruler, Zeus can basically do what he wants. There's no votes or contradictions necessary because what he.says, goes. Prometheus went against him knowing what would happen so the punishment is rightfully given. Even if what he did he thought was noble. Yes it helped the humans but they didn't really give us a reason to yearn for their success other than the fact that we are human. I do disagree with your statement that they felt they didn't need a god to pray to and make a change because a God was who brought the change so why not continue to pray and ask for help knowing he has helped before?
ReplyDelete