blog 4/15

     As I read Philoctetes , I noticed a significance in certain objects which symbolized something important . The first object that stood out to me was the bow of Hercules. I think that the bow of Hercules is a weapon that represents power. While it was possessed by Philoctetes , it's power drew in Odysseus so he can return to Lemnos. Also, since the arrows never miss the possession of the bow prevents anyone from forcefully taking Philoctetes , which gave him a certain degree of power over Odyssesus and his will.

Comments

  1. I find it interesting how you decided to dissect philoctetes, perhaps it’s a way for the author to give us ways to discover his message in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the bow held a significant amount of power. Power is a very strong thing to possess, which is why we see certain characters act out in order to obtain such power. For instance: the Chorus and Odysseus were both obsessed with the idea of power, they did not care if they had to lie in order to get the bow from Philoctetes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment