blog 4/27
For the winter assignments, im just going to have to reread the three stories that we have read to find 2 pieces of dialogues to talk about. For the final paper, I am thinking of chosing the first topic that the professor has gave us, because I feel that I can provide info on how people makes decisions through pain and pleasue. Maybe I might add some experimants that people have done to see how pain and pleasue changes a persons decision. I would use these reasearch paper to relate to the act
of sympathy in the Prometheus Bound.
I think that would be great for you to add experiences that people have gone through to see how pain and pleasure changes a persons decision, but I think you should limit it to Prometheus Bound with evidence, however you can add certain opinions you have regarding pain/pleasure and how it relates to sympathy.
ReplyDeleteThis is excellent advice. Most commonly, we read literature through our own particular lenses and through our own particular experiences, which often result in wildly differing and often inaccurate interpretations. Although we can never *really* get past our own internal make-up to get to a " true " interpretation, it is best to attempt to put aside one's own inculcated ideas and one's own experiences as we read through a tragedy like Prometheus Bound. If we don't, any interpretation we make of Aeschylus (or any other piece of literature for that matter) will be its own new creation - something *we* have made new and separate from what Aeschylus has written and means to say.
DeleteIn your final paper, make sure to limit how much anecdotal experience you bring to bear on it. To some extent, all anecdotal experience is helpful when trying to understand a certain piece of literature, but these works are all distinct worlds constructed by their authors, and often operate on their own internal set of rules. Look at pain and pleasure *in the Prometheus Bound,* and then maybe feel free to make a few comments on its relevance to human experience. The priority here is to look at what Aeschylus has to say about pain and pleasure.
ReplyDelete