Blog 4/27
For my final paper, I am choosing prompt #1 because I would really like to go into depth about pleasure in pain being connected to the act of sympathy in Prometheus Bound. I would like to bring up the instances where the chorus is sort of showing that they want to hear about the pain someone has or is going through and why they do so. In doing that, I will tie is to pleasure, as well, and how that is connected. Then, I will tie both instances of pain/pleasure to the act of sympathy the chorus shows and why they seem to only do so with connected to pain and pleasure.
"I would like to bring up the instances where the chorus is sort of showing that they want to hear about the pain someone has or is going through and why they do so."
ReplyDelete- This would make a great first paragraph. You would probably spend much of it listing places in the text where the Chorus expresses their desire to share in a painful experience.
"In doing that, I will tie is to pleasure, as well, and how that is connected."
- This is definitely your second paragraph, and where you really start to build your argument. First, I would list where the Chorus expresses pleasure or the desire for a pleasurable experience when they are listening to tragic and painful events. The hard part now is to try and find a connection between pain and pleasure.
"Then, I will tie both instances of pain/pleasure to the act of sympathy the chorus shows and why they seem to only do so with connected to pain and pleasure"
- This is where you really clinch the argument. This is where you are going to be drawing on much of your textual support from the previous paragraphs, and showing how in acts of sympathy, the Chorus indulges in a kind of strange and pleasurable event. The challenge is to find somewhere in the text which seems to provide that connection between pain and pleasure in sympathy. I don't really have a definite answer to that question, but it will be interesting to see where you find that link.