Blog Post for 04/06

In Philoctetes, I was able to see a different outcome than what I had thought when first reading the story. It seemed so evident to me that Neoptolemus would undoubtedly go through with the original plan, despite all the doubts and dislikes he had about doing it. It was obvious that Neoptolemus was not, in any way, happy about practically tricking Philoctetes, knowing that he is vulnerable, injured, and left there for years with scarce food and water. I truly thought that it would just be an easy task for Neoptolemus, however the moment he was given the bow to admire and hold, I knew that it would not be as easy as I predicted. You could sense Neoptolemus’ indecisiveness when he is given the bow and arrow in his hands and surprisingly hands it back to Philoctetes.  In this moment, Neoptolemus could have taken it and ran, especially while Philoctetes was in extreme pain, however he didn’t. It was something that I did not expect, but I enjoyed the fact that a character could sort of grow in such little time and make a decision that was opposite of what he initially chose. 

Comments